Applies to: Office 365 for professionals and small businesses, Office 365 for enterprises, Live@edu
Topic Last Modified: 2013-01-24
After you create a user mailbox, you can make changes and set additional properties in the Exchange Control Panel. Here's how:
Navigate to Manage My Organization > Users & Groups > Mailboxes.
In the Mailboxes list, select a mailbox to modify. For a large list of mailboxes, use the Search mailboxes field and type all or part of a display name.
- In the Mailboxes list, select a mailbox to modify. For a large list of mailboxes, use the Search mailboxes field and type all or part of a display name.
After you’ve selected a mailbox, click Details. You can view or change the following information:
General This section provides basic information about the user. The user can view and update this in Account Information.
- First name, Initial, Last name
- * Display name This name appears in the address book, on the To: and From: lines in e-mail, and in the Mailbox list. It's required. Make sure there are no empty spaces before or after the display name.
- Microsoft ID or organization ID This consists of the user's alias on the left side of the @ symbol, and your domain name, like contoso.edu or fabrikam.com, on the right side. It becomes the user's sign-in ID and e-mail address. Users use their ID to access their mailboxes. You can't modify the user ID after you've created the mailbox.
- Issue warning The mailbox size at which a warning message is sent to the user
- Prohibit send The mailbox size that prevents a user from sending e-mail
- Prohibit send receive The mailbox size that prevents a user from sending and receiving e-mail
Contact Information Use this section to change the user's contact information. Use the Notes field for anything you want to add. Information in this section is displayed in the shared address book.
Organization Use this section to record detailed information about the user's role in the organization. This information is also displayed in the shared address book.
- Title, Department, Company
Manager To add a manager, click Browse. In Select Manager, select a person, and then click OK and return to Details.
- Direct reports You can't modify this field. A direct report is a user who reports to a specific manager. If you have specified a manager for the user, that user appears as a direct report in the details of the manager's mailbox. For example, Kerry manages Chris and Kate, so Kerry's mailbox is specified in the Manager field of Chris' mailbox and Kate's mailbox, and Chris and Kate appear as Direct reports in the details of Kerry's mailbox.
Note: The user's primary e-mail address is also displayed in this section. Even if you add other e-mail addresses, when the user sends e-mail, the primary e-mail address is still used as the From address.
- Add To add an e-mail address, click Add. For the new e-mail address, type the alias on the left side of @ symbol. The alias must be unique in the domain. Then, select a domain name from the drop-down list on the right side of the @ symbol.
- Edit To edit an e-mail address, select the e-mail address and then click Edit. You can edit the alias or select a different domain name.
- Remove To delete an e-mail address, select the e-mail address, and then click Remove.
- Mailbox plan Only Live@edu organizations can change the mailbox plan. The mailbox plan defines the configuration settings and permissions for the user account. To change the mailbox plan, select a different one from the drop-down list in this section. Note that some organizations have only one mailbox plan. For more information, see Mailbox Plans.
- Role assignment policy This specifies the RBAC roles that are assigned to the user. To change the role assignment policy that’s assigned to the user, select a different one in list in this section. For more information, see Role Assignment Policies in Exchange Online.
Note: Live@edu organizations can't change the role assignment policy.
- Retention policy This specifies the retention policy assigned to the user. A retention policy is a group of retention tags that are applied to the user’s mailbox. When a mailbox is created, a default retention policy is applied. To change the retention policy, select a different one in the list in this section. For more information, see Retention Policies in Exchange Online.
Note: If you change the retention policy that’s applied to a mailbox, the mailbox must be processed by the Managed Folder Assistant before the change goes into effect. In Exchange Online, the Managed Folder Assistant is configured to process all mailboxes in a cloud-based organization once every seven days. You can wait until the Managed Folder Assistant processes the mailbox, or you can force the Managed Folder Assistant to process a mailbox immediately. For more information, see Run the Managed Folder Assistant.
- Add people outside your organization who can send e-mail to or receive e-mail from this user when the closed campus policy is turned on Use this option to specify exceptions to the closed campus supervision policy. For example, if you have a closed campus policy in place but want to allow students to exchange e-mail with their parents, add the parents' e-mail addresses here. To add an external e-mail address, click Add, type the e-mail address, and then click OK.
- Add people who aren't allowed to send e-mail to this user Use this option to implement the anti-bullying supervision policy and block people from sending e-mail messages to this person. This helps you protect users from harassing e-mail messages. To block a sender, click Add, type the blocked sender's e-mail address, and then click OK. E-mail from the sender to this person is rejected, and a non-delivery report (NDR) is generated.
For more information, see Safety Tab.
Mailbox Features Use this section to enable or disable an archive mailbox or litigation hold for this mailbox. For more information, see:
Phone & Voice Features Use this section to configure Exchange ActiveSync for mobile devices or enable Unified Messaging. For more information, see:
- First name, Initial, Last name
When you're finished, click Save to keep your changes or click Cancel to close the dialog box.